Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 16:37:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>, FreeBSD Small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

> SpiderSoftware

> >> etc...

> >> Well it might be a source for command names ;)
> >
> >Not even that.  IOS's command interface is a festering abomination.
> >Emulating it would be a major error.
>
> Want to support yer statement? =) Just curious about the how and why...

The major nits which get me:

 - Inconsistent terminology.
 - There's usually at least 2 ways of doing something, and at most one
   of those will be like how you would do a similar thing to a slightly
   different object.
 - No structure (you will usually visit several subsystems in order to
   perform any configuration task).
 - No scriptability (there's an IOS with Tcl embedded inside Cisco, but
   they won't let it out).

Basically, IOS's command interface is a hack.