Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:06:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andriss <andriss@argate.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bin, sbin, another bin...

Hello everyone,

I installed 2.2.7-release, and everything seems
working fine, though I have a question about the
directories where all binaries are put in.

>From what I understand there are these dirs:
/bin
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/sbin

My question is, why so many? what is the reason for
keeping all these dirs, instead of, say, one?

Is it because /bin and /usr/bin are on different
slices, so that /bin sits on root slice?
If so, what is /sbin?

I know this is not a real practical question, but
I just want to see the logic of file placement
in UNIX.

Thanks you,

Andriss

P.S. oh, yes, there is also /usr/X11R6/bin, but
it's understandable that only X files are put there.