Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:00:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Philip Koopman <koopman@cmu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where do I send a large bug list?

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Philip Koopman wrote:

#
# Greetings,
#
# I'm not really sure wehere to send this, so I'm taking a shot at this
# e-mail address based on a web page pointer...
#
# I am an Assistant Professor at Carnegie Mellon University.  As part of
# my research I have generated a rather extensive list of robustness bugs
# for a number of commercial operating systems as well as FreeBSD.  (We're
# talking 20,000 of bugs scattered throughout about half the
# POSIX functions we tested, although it would be no surprise if there are
# far fewer software defects that are actually root causes).  You can get
# an idea of my research from http://www.ices.cmu.edu/ballista -- although
# the information at that web site is not the latest and greatest.
#
# Because this is unpublished data, and because of the large volume of
# data involved, it is probably not a smart idea (and I don't have the
# time) to just submit a huge pile of bug reports when I publish the final
# data.  Additionally, I am willing to extend to you the courtesy of
# giving you access to the information before my research results are
# published.  But, in exchange, I request a simple promise that you won't
# publish the data before I do.
#
# What I'd like from this e-mail exchange is a name, title, and address of
# someone to whom I can send a U.S. Mail letter that describes my data and
# formalizes my offer to share it with you.  I'm not concerned with legal
# formalities -- I just want the people involved to understand that this
# information is to be treated with appropriate care.  Can we work
# something out?

My name is Steve Price and I am the gnats-meister for FreeBSD; ie. I
get the pleasure maintaining the bug database.  I would love to see
your list.  As for a title (other than the above), this is a volunteer
project and only a select few people on the -core team have a title
and most of those are self-inflicted. :)

Steve

# Best regards,
# -- Phil
#