Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:57:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        abial@nask.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging...

Andrzej Bialecki writes:
> I wonder how Cisco's are doing this, from the operating system's point of
> view... When you configure the type of routing protocol on a Cisco, it
> looks very similar to starting a new process (e.g.  ospf router), and when
> you look into memory statistics, it seems that their IOS has a notion of
> processes...

This is not certain, but I believe IOS is a fully preemptable (ie,
in the kernel) operating system that has no VM system.. all one big
flat memory space. So it's real easy to have threads, both user
and kernel ones.. Of course, all your processes have to be "cooperating"
for this to work :-)

-Archie