Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:18:03 -0800
From:      Chris Pratt <eagletree@hughes.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple if_bridge devices

On Jan 29, 2008, at 6:50 AM, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 3 transparent firewalls on 3 T1s with a LAN behind each
> supporting multiple servers.
>
> Existing:
> Servers1<->Switch1<->FreeBSD Firewall1<->T1 Router1
> Servers2<->Switch2<->FreeBSD Firewall2<->T1 Router2
> Servers3<->Switch3<->FreeBSD Firewall3<->T1 Router3
>
> These firewalls are workstation class computers running
> FreeBSD 6.2, if_bridge and ipfw. This has worked quite well
> with the exception of hardware failures because of the
> workstations hardware. I can afford one server-class blade
> with 3 2-port NICs, but not three complete quality servers.
> I would like to get to one firewall machine yet maintain the
> isolation of the circuits and servers.
>
> Target: 1 firewall, 4 nics, if_bridge (1 bridge) and ipfw
> AllServers<->Switch<->FreeBSD Firewall<->T1 Router1
>                                                         <->T1 Router2
>                                                         <->T1 Router3
> or
>      1 firewall 6 nics, if_bridge (3 bridges) and ipfw
> Servers1<->Switch1<->FreeBSD Firewall<->T1 Router1
> Servers2<->Switch2<->                       <->T1 Router2
> Servers3<->Switch3<->                       <->T1 Router3
>
> Initially I designed the replacement using a single if_bridge
> with a single LAN backbone as shown first here. After trying
> to design the rules, I concluded that it was either illogical
> or beyond my ipfw rule skills. Then it occurred to me to try
> to run three if_bridge devices as shown in the second Target
> One box, 6 NICs, 3 networks kept isolated for arp but
> IP-managed in a single instance of ipfw.
>
> I got as far as attempting this:
>
> ifconfig bridge0 create
> ifconfig bridge0 addm rl0 addm em0 up
> ifconfig bridge1 create
> ifconfig bridge1 addm vx0 up
>
> It created the devices but obviously is not something I could
> test to see if it actually worked as two discrete bridges. I've
> no additional hardware, but before I buy anything, I thought
> I could simply ask if if_bridge is meant to do this. I have
> googled, checked man (if_bridge, ipfirewall, ipfw), and the
> handbook, but I can't find anywhere that specifically says
> if_bridge is designed to support multiple bridges on one
> computer.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is if_bridge is designed to support more than one bridge
> on a single machine by creating multiple bridge devices (only,
> of course with multiple NICs on the second and tertiary
> bridges)?
>
> 2. If so, does it retain complete isolation of the bridges (e.g.
> for ARP) while allowing ipfw to examine all three simultaneously?
>
> 3. Should I be exploring a different FreeBSD route to
> implement this.

The response to this message can be found on FreeBSD-Net.
The answer was affirmative on the use of multiple bridges
on one FreeBSD installation using if_bridge. Alternate suggestion
was to use a single bridge with private flag on each interface.

Pardon the extra intrusion but I'd hate for someone to google
this and not find the answer. ... and sorry I posted to the wrong list
initially.

Chris