Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:10:55 -0500
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Defragmentation

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> * Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se> [20001017 17:21]:
> =>
> =>On 17-Oct-00 Daniel Bye wrote:
> =>> As far as I know, there are no defragmentation agents for FreeBSD (or most
> =>> other *NICES).  Therefore, you would have to rebuild your file systems.
> =>> Take a tape backup of the entire system (this is sequential, so disk
> =>> fragmentation is not an issue), rebuild your disk slice/partition setup, and
> =>> then restore the backed up file systems from the tape.
>
> Now that is where the dilemna is..my box has no tape drive! But I have a
> tape of 10GB and there is another FBSD box near me which has the tape
> drive. I've heard about amanda and some network backup applications but I
> think I may be able to backup but not restore....what is the procedure
> when the tape drive is not on the box??

If you have another box you can conveniently ship data to via NFS or SCP,
then I'd say you don't need the backup... just move the data off the box,
delete, and move it back. Or as someone else suggented, even a cp on the
local drive might help. If both FBSD boxes are running the same branch, you
could also rm /usr/src && rm /usr/obj and then copy stuff around (ie: mkdir
/usr/.usr && cp -R /usr/* /usr/.usr, then rm -r /usr/* && mv /usr/.usr/*
/usr && rm -r /usr/.usr)

> It's now at 2.3% but for a long time I've been watching it come this
> far...

Personally, I wouldn't worry about that level of fragmentation at all.

> Some Linux guy said Linux does it automatically ??? Heard anything like
> that? I've never used Linux though, except as a dumb user..just telnet,
> mail..

I'm guessing that what they meant to say is that whatever filesystem linux
uses works very hard to avoid fragmentation in the first place.

> Any idea how I can capture the msgs about the file systems when system
> boots, including when it's starting the daemons..?

No, but if you really want to know you can drop to single user, umount -a,
and fsck -p. fsck is what's giving you the fragmentation info. There may be
another way to do it without unmounting.

jim@nasby.net                                               /___\