Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 16:30:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

> > All files are modified when tags are put down, so it means CTM deltas
> > and CVS deltas are rather large, although the change for each file is
> > rather small.
>
> This only happens if all files are tagged, AFAIK?

Yes.

> I was referring to
> adding tags to those files that actually are modified, to tie each
> commit and each merge together so it can be viewed as a single change
> at a later point in time, instead of being viewed as one change for
> each file, with no usable way to automatically find out what other
> changes was done at the same time.

Well, this is supposed to be how it's done, but CVS doesn't keep track
of a single 'commit' in this manner.  Other VC software does (such as
P3).

> This do not require modifying all
> untouched files unless I've totally misunderstood the way RCS tags work.

But, it's the way CVS works.  And, forcing people to install X different
versions of the software (where A is the base revision, and you need to
apply a number of 'delta' revisions to take you up to each
SNAP/RELEASE') is not a workable solution either.

Nate