Date:      Sun, 3 May 2015 20:36:07 +0200
From:      Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unnoticed for years, malware turned Linux and BSD servers into spamming machines

On Sun, 03 May 2015 12:23:53 -0600
jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> More importantly, how do we disinfect? Reinstall the system?
> But the infiltration was done to a freshly installed system.
> We need to know what filenames are involved!!

You have the original news here:

http://www.eset.com/int/about/press/articles/malware/article/linux-and-bsd-web-servers-at-risk-of-sophisticated-mumblehard-infection-says-eset/

Here you can download a pdf describing it:

http://www.welivesecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/mumblehard.pdf

And more info:

http://thehackernews.com/2015/05/Mumblehard-Linux-Malware.html

Last lines say:
 "Web server administrators should check their servers for Mumblehard infections by looking for the so-called unwanted cronjob entries added by the malware in an attempt to activate the backdoor every 15-minute increments.

The backdoor is generally located in the /var/tmp or /tmp folders. You can deactivate this backdoor by mounting the tmp directory with the noexec option."

HTH

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>