Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 10:18:16 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        Gemini Domino <geminidomino@earthlink.net>
Cc:        "Michael W.Holdeman" <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Starband

Gemini Domino wrote:

>I've never used starband, but that sounds a lot like it should be easily
>doable on FreeBSD. If all you have to do is set the gateway of the clientbox
>to the IP of the modem, then you can do it as easily in *BSD or Linux as in
>windows. If theres specific software involved (for authentication, e.g.) ,
>then your prolly stuck.
>
>HTH
>
>-CM
>

><snip>

I know this is late - I haven't looked at the list for a few days - but,
I had to throw in another 2cents.  The modem is not like a normal cable
or DSL modem that has an ethernet port built in.  The modem actually
interfaces with your computer via USB using specialized drivers (I'm
sure someone could hack around and get something like this working on
fbsd, but it would probably take a lot of work).  The pilot testers like
myself actually had two pci interfaces that were installed on the
workstations (then Win98 - yes it sucked).  Thus, the only way to get
through the satellite from other computers, was to set up a program like
wingate on the Win98 machine and get it to act like a proxy...

Steve