Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:28:19 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        "Brian P. Trotter" <btrotter@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation oddities for i386 install

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 05:21:58PM -0400, Brian P. Trotter wrote:

[...]

> I put in a Compaq Intel 10/100 NIC, and re-installed
> everything. This got rid of the problem with the errors flooding the
> screens; however, there was still a very noticable intermittent pause every
> 15-20 seconds. You could be typing, and then everything would pause, and a
> couple seconds later, everything would resume.
> I did an xf86config, to get X configured, then did a startx. This was
> horrible. It seemed as though I was trying to run X on a 386 with 4mb of
> RAM. Everything was just slugging its way through all the menus and screens.
> I then did another reinstall and tried to select less packages to install,
> and the same thing kept happening.

The last time this happened to me, it was 'cos there was bad cabling
between the card and the switch. If i shutdown the network interface, the
system performed fine, but when it was up it was very jittery (although
there were no system crashes).

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>