Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 23:20:55 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP timers (Was: Re: new timeout routines)

>> >This will increase the load on the timer code with a lot of 20 tick
>> >timers for a 100Hz softclock.
>>
>>    "A lot"? There will be exactly _one_. This is not a problem. Please read
>> again what I wrote and tell me how I was unclear so that I don't make the
>> same mistake in the future.
>
>It was unclear that there would not be one per FIN_2_WAIT per socket;
>how do you plan to handle these timeouts to give one timer entry?

   I was only talking about delayed-acks, which is all that the 1/5th second
"fast" timer does. The 1/2 second "slow" timer handles all other connection
management issues (like retransmits, connection timeouts, etc). The most
optimimal way of handling the fast timer events is the way that I described
previously, and this will be true no matter how the system timeout code works.
The slow timer really is a different animal and it's true that there could
be one timer event per connection. The granularity of a slow timer event is
in 1/2 second quantums, however, so perhaps the problem isn't as bad as it may
seem (the next event for a connection could easily be several seconds or more
in the future). Again, I haven't really thought much about how to deal with
this, and I certainly agree that it is a much harder problem to solve.

-DG

David Greenman