Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:23:46 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [SOLVED] Re: jade error: Undefined symbol "_ZNK6Origin14asEntityOriginEv"

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 18:19:51 -0800
Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:09:22PM -0300, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:23:18 -0300
> > Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I installed 'docproj-jadetex' to learn how to make Docbook documents (in SGML). When I run 'nsgmls' (texproc/sp) (when doing 'make' on a FreeBSD documentation source, or manually) it outputs the following error:
> > >
> > > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libstyle.so.1: Undefined symbol "_ZNK6Origin14asEntityOriginEv
> > >
> > > How do I fix it?
> >
> > Sorry, I made a mistake: the program that generated the error message was 'jade' (port is 'print/jadetex'), not 'nsgmls'.
>
> You forgot to mention details about your FreeBSD installation.  Did
> you formerly run FreeBSD 4.x and then update to 5.x?  If so, you need
> to rebuild your ports, because C++ code compiled with gcc 2.95 (which
> is the version in 4.x) is incompatible with code compiled with gcc 3.4
> (in 5.3).  portupgrade is the easiest way to do this, e.g. with the -P
> switch.
>
> Kris

Sorry, I was tired and I made mistakes and forgot a couple of things.

I have FreeBSD 5.3 (from a fresh installation), and I never updated my system/ports. I installed 'jade' from a package: jade-1.2.1_8.

I solved the problem. The reason was that I installed 'sp' (textproc/sp) from a package (sp-1.3.4) (as the 'fdp-primer' says) and it overrited (without saying it conflicts with 'jade') the following programs/libraries:

bin/nsgmls
bin/sgmlnorm
bin/spam
bin/spent
bin/sx
[ header files in include/sp ]
lib/libsp.a
lib/libsp.so.1

So the missing symbol was in '/usr/local/lib/libsp.so.1' (which was overritten by 'sp'):

nm /usr/local/lib/libsp.so.1 | grep _ZNK6Origin14asEntityOriginEv
0009cf04 T _ZNK6Origin14asEntityOriginEv

While doing that in the library from 'sp' outputs nothing.

This is strange: 'fdp-primer' says one need to install it, but it replaces binaries without warning and finally 'jade' does not work.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ale