Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:34:00 +0000
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Re: bytes gets substituted on write

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: Leif Neland <leifn@darla.swimsuit.roskildebc.dk>
cc: tomppa@fidata.fi, fabio@cesar.unicamp.br, gcrutchr@nightflight.com,
    j@uriah.heep.sax.de, jc@irbs.com, julian@freebsd.org,
    kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, nikm@ixa.net, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl,
    Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>,
    scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:34:00 +0000
Sender: jhs@flip.jhs.no_domain

[ Moved from (but bcc'd to) freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG ]

Reference:

Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 01:06:04AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
> > Here I go again:
> >
> > When copying a large file, suddenly 8 bytes in a row gets substituted
> > with 0xff!
> > When I repeat the copy, it's the same 8 bytes.
>
> Where are they in the block?
>
> > It also happens, when I either use ftp on this machine to get a file
> > or use ftp on another to put the file.
> > System: 486dx33Mhz, 8MB ram, Old Adaptec, 4 scsi's, the one with fbsd
> > is a maxtor "scsi-0".
>
> Would the controller be a 154[02]A?  People have seen this before.  I
> can't recall, but I seem to think that 8 bytes is about the reconnect
> length for the controller.  Are they located on 8-byte boundaries?
>
> Try tweaking your controller parameters.  I don't know if this would
> help, but it could help us work out what's wrong here.
>
> Greg

Hi Leif,
cc Greg et all,

If it's a 1542A let me know !
I have a directory of notes on the 1542a & FreeBSD (see below).
Brief summary of symptoms:
	Intermittent burst of 8 * 0xFF bytes on occasional multiples of
	(I recall) 1or4K boundaries on drives >= sd1 ,
	mainly when multiple devices active (I think).
Others apart from me have seen similar.

I have an A, a B, and a C, but no complaints about the B or C.
If your problem is with a B or C, I have nothing useful to contribute,
in that case I suggest you just discuss with <scsi@freebsd.org>.

If you have an A with problems, please mail me, and also CC the following:
	tomppa@fidata.fi,
	fabio@cesar.unicamp.br,
	gcrutchr@nightflight.com,
        j@uriah.heep.sax.de,
	jc@irbs.com,
	julian@freebsd.org,
        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de,
        nikm@ixa.net,
	tomppa@fidata.fi,
	wilko@yedi.iaf.nl,
	Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>,
	Julian H. Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>,
	Leif Neland <leifn@darla.swimsuit.roskildebc.dk>
who all have, or have had an interest in FreeBSD & 1542A scsi cards.

I'm no scsi expert, just someone who's put a lot of time
into observing the 1542A 8 0xFF bytes bug, (& even ripped off cache chips
& replaced, & thrown out a perfectly good 500M drive, all seeking to track
this down (It'd be cheaper to Axe my 1542A into final submission ;-).

If it's a 1542A card, please read my archive of mail, try my testblock/ & 8f/
& let us know your results, etc.

General data testing tool:
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/testblock/
Specific 1542A corrupt data testing search tool (use with find):
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/8f/
Archive of mail (will upload in next days (as of 1997.11.26)):
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/1542a/

Julian
- --
Julian H. Stacey       jhs@freebsd.org         http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/