Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:29:22 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Robert Sanders <rsanders@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finger problem going from 2.1R to -current

<<On Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:21:33 -0500, Robert Sanders <rsanders@mindspring.com> said:

> Yeah, the T/TCP changes just recently got put into the tree.  I guess
> the importance of T/TCP for this is that it can save, what, one round
> trip per finger connection?

I think it is slightly more useful in that it can point out all the
different vendors with seriously broken TCP implementations.

>  What confuses me is that, though I
> haven't read rfc1644 or the kernel source, I thought that T/TCP would
> properly cope with hosts that didn't want to cooperate.

T/TCP works perfectly with hosts that correctly implement TCP but
don't implement T/TCP.  When the target host does not correctly
implement even basic TCP, then all bets are off.  /That/ is the
situation we are presently encountering.

> Otherwise, it seems that the default settings for both rfc* sysctl
> options should be off.

No, they should not.

>  TCP extensions just seem to cause trouble for
> the Average Joe.

I doubt it.  In any case, somebody has to keep the commercial vendors
honest.  The correct response to this problem is to complain to the
vendors who made the broken software.  (You might point them at an
RFC---I forget its number---entitled ``TCP and IP bake-off''.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.