Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:09:45 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>, Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool, A White Snowy Christmas in Sunnyvale, California 8)

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 04:28:29PM -0500, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:
> Drew Baxter wrote:
>
> > Bad side is, only the ADSL providers will actually *maybe* let you run
> > servers.  The cable providers have something against that, maybe it's due
> > to the covert movement of illegal software and mpeg layer 3 media.
>
> No, it's due to the fact that with cable modems, the upstream bandwidth is
> shared, similar to Ethernet.  If lots of people on your (sub)net ran servers
> which had lots of out-going traffic, they'd eat up all the bandwidth - even
> affecting the relatively small amount needed to send Ack's for downstream
> traffic.  @Home (my Internet provider) has, at least in certain areas,
> supposedly put something in place to limit upstream bandwidth to 128Kbps
> because sometimes people do run servers (even though they're not supposed
> to).  I've noticed that my uploads to netnews do *not* go blazingly fast
> - this is probably why.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I plan to stick with good old 33.6k
analog access...I've been running servers off this machine since mid-1997 at
the latest, and it's nice being able to have a personal home page that can
grow as big as you want it. The other reason is that cable modem access here
is restricted at this point to the eastern side (Woodbridge, Lake Ridge,
Dale City, Dumfries) of Prince William County, and to some test sites inside
the City of Manassas. GTE does say DSL is available here, but it seemed
pricey the last time I looked. I'll have to look again.