Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:34:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

> I'm not certain all of this is feasible within the CVS "database
> structure" but I've been toying with the idea of implementing some of
> this based on meta-information in non-moving tags, with cvs merge
> replaced by an external cvsmerge script.  If tags to the files you're
> modifying anyway are cheap, serializing the commits is something that
> could be started more or less right away.  If it is expensive - well,
> then I need to find another solution, possibly abandoning CVS in the
> process.  This would have good and bad sides; the worst one is that
> this is such a large project that I'd be much less likely to implement
> it ;-)

For a maybe smaller project while you are in the external scripting for
CVS mood, it would be wonderful if you could write something to "change
history"... basically, move sections of the source tree around without
ending up with attic files all over.

The big pain here is correlating makefile changes so the new "old" code
will still be able to build historically correct releases.

Probably, there should be "path from repository root" information
in the files so different revisions check out to different locations...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.