Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 22:38:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using dump(8)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:
> > I use dump every day. Seeing that I had a million of my questions
> > answered from the list not to long ago I'll repay the debt on your
> > questions. :)
> >
> > #1 If file systems are to be mouted read only durring a dump then it's
> > news to me. I've never heard of it and have never done it. A quick look at
> > the man page for dump doesn't say this either.
>
> I remember reading somewhere that the file system should be quiet.
> Just imagine that a file is modified in the middle of the dump, after
> the mapping. Besides, a file can be in the disk cache etc.
> >
> > #2 I use dump for 5 servers on my network to a single machine.
>
> Did you read the tapes after the dump? ;-)

	Of course, :) I've had the pleasure many times of restoring files
that I've judiciously screwed up or just flat out hosed. :)

> > Works realy good. You have to allow for rsh because dump will use it to do
> > the dirty work. Not exactly secure but if you aren't doing dumps in a cron
> > script then you can just enable rsh durring the times you prefer to do the
> > dumps.
> >
> > #3 You don't have to be single user to do a dump. That would kind of
> > defeat the use of a network dump.
> >
> > #4 I'm not entirely sure about this but as far as doing a dump on an
> > active file system. Dump takes a sort of snapshot of the file system
> > before it starts pumping data to tape. So files modified durring a dump
> > will only have the data as it was before dump took the snap of it.
> > As soon as you issue the dump command your disks will go crazy as dump
> > figures out what all needs to be dumped. I just kind of assumed <ouch>
> > that it was snaping the file system. Or depending on the level of dump you
>
> When dump(8) dumps a 10 Gigabyte filesystem, there is certainly no
> room for another 10 Gigabytes for a snapshot.

	Good point, like I said in that mail though. "Assumed" it was
"some kind"  of a snapshot.. Not a snapshot.

> > are doing will be looking to see the modification dates on files to
> > determine what needs dumping.
> > Anyone with more info on this I'd like to know about it.
> >

> > #5 I've never known anyone to halt services while dumping a file system.
>
> So what is going to happen to the files that change during the dump? I
> think they will be unreadable because dump mapped them with their old
> size and will have dumped them with a different size or truncate the
> end of them or whatever.

	This is one of those things I'd realy like more clarification on
from somebody "in the know" on this.