Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:45:29 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Cc:        nsayer@freebsd.org, nsayer@sftw.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl interface for apm?

In message <20000718.044121.71098397.ume@mahoroba.org> Hajimu UMEMOTO writes:
: Indeed, I wish to have a method to obtain required information without
: extra privilege.  We need safety way.
: Currentry, GKrellM opens /dev/apm with O_RDWR.  I just tried to open
: with O_RDONLY and see it is sufficient for APMIO_GETINFO.  I'll send
: the change to the author of GKrellM.

It is sufficient for APMIO_GETINFO, but it will introduce a security
hole as the apm ioctls aren't careful enough about their sanity
checking.  I've added such sanity checking in my local copy of apm and
will test it tonight when I have access to my laptop.

The holes are introduced by the chmod 664 /dev/apm, not by doing the
open rdonly :-).

If you'll send me a pointer to gkrellm, I'll see about putting it up
on my laptop and making sure that my stuff works with it.

Warner