Date:      29 Dec 1999 21:21:33 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DUMP causes system lockup?

John Hanna <jhanna@cproject.com> wrote:

> I run dump nightly to backup my files to a second disk,

Let me tell you something. In the last couple of years I have twice
lost all hard disks in a system at the same time. The first time,
the power supply blew and apparently sent a spike down the 12V
output. The second time, I ran into a faulty power cable that
reversed +5V and +12V.

Backups to another disk in the same box aren't.

> dump -0 -a -f - / |gzip >/backup/larryboy/larryboy.root.dump.gz
> dump -0 -a -f - /usr |gzip >/backup/larryboy/larryboy.usr.dump.gz
>
> Last night in the middle of this process the system locked up.

Shouldn't do that.

> Is fileaccess in the middle of a dump bad?

Supposedly dump handles this reasonably well.

> I can't shut off all server functions for the duration of the
> dump.

Neither do I.

> Is there a way I can make dump more file-sharing-friendly?

No. But this is not a dump problem. dump only *reads* from the file
system. At most dump could crash. But you are saying the system
locked up.

Compile a debug kernel also including the kernel debugger. See if
you can panic the machine next time this happens. Try to narrow
down, where the kernel locks up.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de