Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:26:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xemacs package and libXpm

Hi.  I'm trying to install the xemacs package, and find I'm missing
libXpm.so.4.10:

	biggusdiskus:/usr/X11$ xemacs
	ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXpm.so.4.10"
	biggusdiskus:/usr/X11$

I've gotten the source for libXpm from ftp.x.org, and I guess I'll
compile it and install it in /usr/X11/lib; but I thought package
installation was supposed to be a no-brainer?  Is there some
really easy step I missed?  This was supposed to be a 10-minute
project, and it's already sucked up an hour or so -- not the end
of the world, I know, but it's always frustrating when you expect
something to be absolutely trivial, and it's not.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.