Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 12:24:47 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        pingpan@research.bell-labs.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: A new kernel extension to deal with IP option packets

>> you want to look at RFC2292, and draft-ietf-ipngwg-2292bis.
>> RFC2292 specifies how you can manipulate IPv6 extension headers
>> (header chains between IP and TCP/UDP header, has similar role to
>> IPv4 options), using ancillary data stream.  it gives you much higher
>> flexibility and control, without additional address family
>> (i think we shouldn't define address family for this).

> I could not find you in IETF. So here is my response: after reading
> through some of the FrreBSD kernel code on IPv6 and the RFC, it has the
> same
> problem as in IPv4. That is, the user needs to open a raw socket first
> with a protocol family and a protocol type. Only then you may use
> setsockopt() to receive the option that you want. This mechanism is
> pretty much the same as in IPv4.

No. You can get IPv6 extension headers of packets via RFC2292 (or
2292bis), regardless of the transport layer protocols. However,

> The problem that we are trying to solve is to intercept the IP packets
> *only* base on their IP option types. The protocol type is irrelevant
> here. I don't see this is solved in IPv6 RFC and drafts.

I'm not sure if 2292 (or 22292bis) can be used to satisfy this goal.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp