Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 06:43:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> > >All files are modified when tags are put down, so it means CTM deltas
> > >and CVS deltas are rather large, although the change for each file is
> > >rather small.
> >
> > A suggestion to consider. --
> >
> > Suppose that the snapshots are always generated by using a CVS checkout
> > that never references the head directly. In other words, in a manner
> > that others can reproduce at a later time. (For example, a checkout
> > by date, using yesterday's date)
>
> Except that means lots more work for the release engineer.  The RE has
> enough problems just making a release, making sure that the code is
> 'synchronized' to a certain date would make it that much harder.  I
> think it would be 'easier' to simply tag the tree.

I think you mistake his intent, Nate.  I think he meant it this way.  The
RE updates his tree, writes down the date/time that it's updated to.  He
then builds/tests it.  If it's successful, he commits to a single file
that keeps track of release date/times that date time, and uses that
date/time later, if he wants to get another copy of a tree at that time.

The RE wouldn't be trying to hit a particular date/time, he'd just keep
track of his attempts, and log the successful ones.  Everyone else would
read that file, and if they wanted a tree at the date indicated, use cvs
to get it.  No tagging involved, and the exact sources would be easily
available anyhow.

> Nate

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |