Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print/cups, which then causes problems

The following reply was made to PR ports/32321; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To: Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org, kde@FreeBSD.org,
	desmo@bandwidth.org, jah4007@cs.rit.edu,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:25:27 +0100

 On Wednesday 28 November 2001 00.44, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
 > [again, I am answering this by reading the PR from freebsd's web
 > site, I don't seem to be getting any of these messages...]

 Hopefully you will be getting this one.

 KDEprint is incredibly powerful, no matter what printing system you have
 installed.  It supports rather well the native BSD printing system, but there
 is no doubt that the CUPS support is the most complete of all the printing
 systems.

 I suspect you will find this page interesting, it explains much better than I
 can what kdeprint is and can do:

 http://printing.kde.org/info/

 Actually the whole site is interesting reading for those interested in
 printing matters.

 I also think you may be interested in assisting Michael Goffioul round out
 the support for BSD's printing - it is actually the default printing system
 offered if CUPS is not found.

 > I suspect it would work better if the no-cups version was the default.
 > The people who know what cups is will immediately understand the
 > significance of "kde-with-cups" would mean, whereas someone who is
 > not looking for cups is likely to just install whatever "kde" is.

 I really have no preference - either way, the users should be kept happy,
 which is the main concern in the end.

 Regards,
 --
 Lauri Watts