Date:      Wed, 14 May 2008 10:16:37 +0200
From:      Tore Lund <tl32@next.online.no>
To:        jwynstra@nyc.rr.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox and Thunderbird annoyance in TWM

John Wynstra wrote:
> I have FreeBSD 7.0 running on a PC at home which was formerly running
> Windows XP until I couldn't stand it anymore.  I had both of the latest
> Thunderbird and Firefox installed on it as my mail application and web
> browser.  Unfortunately I am unemployed so I was in the habit of using
> Dice via Thunderbird which when I double clicked the job advertisements
> would bring up the appropriate Firefox window auto magically.  This is
> now broken.  I don't know why but it is annoying.  I thought it might be
> the pointer follows mouse focus policy but I was wrong.  That is the
> default focus policy under my window manager (twm).  BTW I had thought I
> was running fvwm instead of twm but evidently I was wrong in selecting
> the location of one of the initialization files.  I use startx to start
> X11.  An odd thing is that if I double click within Firefox as for
> instance when I am managing my bookmarks file it will raise the screen
> selected.  It is only when I double click from Thunderbird that this is
> broken.  Once in a while an odd thing like when moving the mouse over
> one window will raise another in addition to changing focus.  Another
> annoyance.

It is unclear to me whether this is just a problem with raising the
right window or whether the problem is that Firefox does not pick up
links from Thunderbird.  In the latter case you may need to set these
preferences in TB:

network.protocol-handler.app.http
network.protocol-handler.app.https

Both should have the value /usr/local/bin/firefox.  Sorry if I
misinterpreted your problem.
--
    Tore