Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:20:34 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: French-Canadian Keyboard & keyboard switching

Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 April 2009 00:14:53 PJ wrote:
>
>> Oh, well, another day lost... but, I guess it's better to limp than
>> not to walk at all. :-\
>>

> I think it would help if you posted your /etc/rc.conf and
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Those are the two files that need to change.

Cool. Then I can ask some questions regarding all of this.

rc.conf: (snipped to show the relevant entries)
font8x16="iso15-8x16"
font8x14="iso15-8x14"
font8x8="iso15-8x8"
allscreens_flags="VGA_80x60 cyan"
rpcbind_enable="YES"
mountd_flags="-r"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_client_flags="-n 4"
samba_enable="YES"
cupsd_enable="YES"
apache22_enable="YES"
postgresql_enable="YES"
mysql_enable="YES"
webmin_enable="YES"
#keymap=fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd

Question:
1. the font entries? The /usr/share/syscons/fonts/ entry has suffixes of
.fnt - ???
2. the keymap is commented out because, although it gives me the fr_CA
keyboard, it also uses French messages which are a bit tortured (French
courtly affectations in the language are quaint but also make for long
and convoluted terminology - notice that a text translated to French is
always longer). K.I.S.S.

xorg.conf: (snip for relevant)
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option    "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "GLcore"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option    "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option  "XkbLayout" "us,ca"
    Option  "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle"
EndSection

Questions:
3. This setup enables switching from the default us to what appears to
be the French keyboard. The fr_CA has the accented characters assigned
to normal keys while keeping most of the English keys normal; the French
kbd needs two keypresses to get the accents. Tiresome, not so say dumb.
4. The toggle does not toggle; pressing right_Alt switches to fr but
another rtAlt press does nothing. And other Alt combinations don't do
anything except freeze the kbd and xterm has to be closed and thereafter
the fr is not accessible without a reboot or one must use fluxbox menu
to switch the keyboard. How to get the fr_CA instad of the fr?
5. Upon closing xorg, there are these messages:
Failed to open file
(/usr/local/share/fluxbox/nls/fr_CA.utf-8/fluxbox.cat)... (twice)
Checking Google & fluxbox, it appears this file does not exist. Fluxbox
simply has not included it in their distribution.
Mayba Blackbox has it; I'll have to check.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Phil

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la plančte, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj@ptahhotep.com