Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:03:53 -0700
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        dg@root.com, jayanth <jayanth@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory leak in the routing table ?

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 02:02:36PM -0700, David Greenman <dg@root.com> wrote:
> >Were there any issues related to a memory leak in the routing table ?
> >I am running freebsd-stable.
> >After a few days vmstat -m shows the memory used by routing table to be
> >very high and log messages  "arpresolve: cant allocate llinfo for
> >a.b.c.d"
> >"arplookup a.b.c.d failed could not allocate llinfo" , keep repeating
> >for
> >every ip address that requires an arp entry to be created.
>
>    This is caused by a screwup in your network configuration, probably the
> netmask, such that the kernel hears the ARP broadcast from a peer, but doesn't
> know how to respond since it doesn't think that the requestor's IP address is
> reachable.

	The netmask looks ok. The machine is on a /23

img4% ifconfig -a
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 204.71.200.244 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 204.71.201.255
        ether 00:a0:c9:fb:47:d5
        media: 100baseTX <full-duplex> status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
lo0: flags=8008<LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

	Nobody chagned start_if.fxp0 for a while also:

img4% ls -l start_if.fxp0
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  130 Mar  1 08:38 start_if.fxp0

	However, looking at the above I notice there is no IP given to lo0.
I'll go ifconfig lo0 -- I wonder if somehow that is the problem?

-- yan