Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 16:47:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

Chuck Robey writes:
> > > Suppose that the snapshots are always generated by using a CVS checkout
> > > that never references the head directly. In other words, in a manner
> > > that others can reproduce at a later time. (For example, a checkout
> > > by date, using yesterday's date)
> >
> > Except that means lots more work for the release engineer.  The RE has
> > enough problems just making a release, making sure that the code is
> > 'synchronized' to a certain date would make it that much harder.  I
> > think it would be 'easier' to simply tag the tree.
>
> I think you mistake his intent, Nate.  I think he meant it this way.  The
> RE updates his tree, writes down the date/time that it's updated to.

But, the tree isn't exactly in sync. with the 'real' CVS tree, so the
code may not be exactly the same.  With 'real' releases, the actual CVS
tree is locked down by the RE, so his tree will be the same, since
no-one is allowed to modify it.  This isn't the case with SNAPS.

So, the time/date he uses in his private tree may have other changes
that occur when people commit code to the 'real' tree.

The whole FreeBSD process is a multi-threaded/SMP kind of thing, so you
gotta think about race conditions and all those other OS kinds of
things. :)

Nate