Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 01:15:22 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        bill@twwells.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a talkd/write improvement I made

[Rationale for improvement, with which I can identify 8-)]

> : How about *not* allowing the write if .talkrc exists but is
> : unreadable? That way, I can make my .talkrc readable by a group that
> : represents, for example, people working on the same project, and use
> : it to filter them more selectively, while shutting everyone else out.
>
> That doesn't resolve the problem. The usual problem is people
> protecting their home directories. Then, I can't tell if they
> have a .talkrc.

Actually, you can if you check errno (if it doesn't exist, you get
ENOENT, if it exists but you don't have permission, you get EACCESS).

> Also, your suggestion isn't going to do much for talkd....

Not sure I follow you. Since talkd runs as root, it will be able to
read the file whatever the permissions on the path components are,
won't it?

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk