Date:      17 Apr 1999 21:33:13 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   "kernel" way too large, name not as in docs

Been starting to play with building a PicoBSD kernel for a diskless
PPP dial-out box to NAT my LAN.  I'd like to be able to hand these out
to friends and customers cuz they can't seem to get NT to do this,
especially with leased lines.  I'm using 3.1-STABLE built from cvsup a
few hours ago.

I followed the "build" process as described in the docs in the
.../picobsd/doc/ dir and don't see a "picobsd.bin" kernel as described
in the docs. I do see a "kernel" in the build dir but it's way too
large for a floppy.

Further it doesn't seem to change with different selections of dial,
router, net, or isp. Is there some "make clean" I need to do first? It
does seem to be installing old kernel images from
.../sys/compile/PICOBSD-*.*/ rather than generating new ones the
second time around. Below are the sizes of the kernel and fs.PICOBSD
built in "build/" as well as the "kernel" built in /sys/PICOBSD-*.*/:

			__FILE_____SIZE__________________________
	SELECTED_TYPE	kernel	fs.PICOBSD	PICOBSD-*.*/kernel

	dial (init)	2917359	1638400		2917359
	dial (oinit)	2917359	1638400		??
	router		2917359	 839680		1925446
	net		2917359	1740800		2892088
	isp		3309508	1740800		3309508

I just did a build of isp (something I hadn't done earlier) as I was
typing this  and saw it announcing its load-up:

	1212986 1828508  141728 3183222  309276 kernel

So on the name issue, is it just that the doc is out of sync with the
build process and "kernel" is what I really want?

Any hints why my kernel is sooooo large?

This looks like cool stuff and I'm anxious to start playing with it.

Thanks!