Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2019 23:57:32 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <milan@obuch.sk>
To:        Kaya Saman <kayasaman@optiplex-networks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pine64-LTS and UART ports

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 21:42:16 +0100
Kaya Saman <kayasaman@optiplex-networks.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've attached an RS232c converter board to UART2 on my Pine64-LTS
> board. I followed the pinout diagrams from here:

[ snip - no comment on this all ]

> Based on my reading I created a 'hints' file for it:
>
> /boot/device.hints
> hint.uart.2.disabled="0"
>
> but I'm not sure if this is correct?

Hi,

short comment - in arm world, there is no device.hints file used, it is
moved into dtb file. You should use overlay to enable uart2, which will
then be used in /boot/loader.conf file - there should be line

fdt_overlays="sun50i-a64-sid,sun50i-a64-ths,sun50i-a64-timer,sun50i-a64-opp"

I did not tried it myself yet, so I can't write exactly what to use,
important part in dtso file you should create is

&uart2 { status = "okay";
}

because uart2 is disabled in shipped dtb. Look in dts overlays
directories for some examples, maybe you could search in this mailing
list archive, too... or someone with more knowledge could tell more.

Regards,
Milan