Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 09:26:38 +0300
From:      Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, "Robert F. Ross" <rross@recourse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.3.1, FreeBSD 4.5, JNI and select()

Hi,

On Sunday 26 May 2002 18:58, Greg Lewis wrote:

> > An ldd on the final java binary
> > shows that it's using libc.so.4, not libc_r.so.4. I've been experienc=
ing
> > problems with select() calls in JNI routines always waiting for the f=
ull
> > timeout when checking readfds (write seems happy) instead of returnin=
g as
> > soon as the data is available. poll() appears to have the same
> > behavior. Has anyone seen this issue and know how to fix it?
>
> Not having tried to do this I haven't seen this issue.  The Java Comm A=
PI
> uses this select() in JNI code and seems to work ok, however I'm not
> sure of the details.  It might be worth looking at the code for it
> (its in the PR system to be committed as a port if it hasn't been
> already).

=09Java Comm API used select in jdk 1.1.8 days, but I have
=09changed it to use poll because of similar problems. If I remember
=09correctly, there are wrappers in green_threads package for
=09various syscalls. There is a wrapper for "poll", but there is=20
=09no wrapper for "select" which breaks threading when it
=09is called by JNI code.=20

=09=09Ari S.