Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 12:27:55 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Ian J Hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Roasting Newbies

please excuse me i've redirected this to freebsd-newbies and
away from freebsd-stable, where this is not a topic  for
discussion based upon the reading of teh charter, though i
believe it should be discussed in all lists. that is how to
properly handle a newbies sometimes inapropriate questions.

ian,

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 01:05:05AM +0100, Ian J Hart wrote:

> Thought for the day: From little Newbies do mighty Gurus grow.

this is one thing the presnet generation of so called gurus,
has either forgotten or is trying to actively discourage.

> Some positive stuff on the list for a change; about time. What I cannot
> understand is why anyone is suprised that stable recieves _inappropriate_
> mail. If you track stable you are _REQUIRED_  to subscribe to _THIS_
> mailing list. (Yes I am shouting, sorry). My understanding of human
> nature says this is where any questions are going to get posted. Perhaps
> something (less dry) in the subscription acknowledgement might help.

yup, whwere ever the questons are asked thats where the aswers
and flames will flow ... just like water that always flows down
hill from where it starts.

> Justin  Wolf is right on track. Ask yourself, why is Linux getting such a
> lot of press? It's reached critical mass in terms of number of users,
> thats why. FreeBSD can be the best O/S ever, but if people (aka. Newbies)
> don't use it, it may not survive.
>
> If you/we are going to provide basic help for newbies (myself included),
> it needs to be friendlier than man. HTML or even info would be better
> (IMHO). It might also be worth aliasing "help". Before you all run away
> screaming, I'm suggesting that a level of indirection is useful. This
> week help might mean man newbie. Next week it could mean info newbie, or
> whatever. Keeping the user inferface the same is _a_good_thing_.

most (ok all) of what you have said here is good solid advice.

but, thier is one small thing that you and most every other
person has failed to address. this being the rude arrogance of
several of teh so called gurus. this then breeds an atmosphers
of active, agressively hostile repression towards newbies in
particular and as an after thought to all those who are by
nature, culture or language usage different to, from, those that
have decleared themselves (godlike) keepers of teh faith.

back in the days before popularity the tcp/ip knitted world
(yup been thier done that and remember what it was like) we all
had a respect for each other and treated one another as equals
and with moodest kindness. thier were rules of etiquette, no
not this now stylised nettiquete garbage .. rather, it was based
on treating people as people and relying on the ability to
observe what was going on and our inate ability to think.

if one person posted inapropriately, all the people who
responded and yes many did not just the moderator (if thoer was
one) or the keeper of the list etc. all the responces were sent
by private email, as were the replies. it was always kept of off
the list.

thier was a less voyeurestic desire to see one person
dismbowled by a pack of raveing, salvering hyenas madened by
the prospect of yet another kill ... driven on by the frenze of
the onlookers. may be this might be a bit of an overly
emphasised description, but not by much, not by much at all.

whenever one of these incidents happen the leaders of teh pack
have always an excuse, a reason fro thoier very very poor
examples of leadership and dicipline. its always "but the other
guy started it" .. i used to get belted (remeber the over the
knee, or over the chair and yor fathers belt?) for fighting, it
was to be expected, both the scuffles and teh inevitable
punishment. but, what lefet the biggest impression on me (and
the only times i would actually have a bruise or two) was when
i tried to blame the "other guy" for starting the fight.

thier is an old saying "it takes two to tango", it is true that
some people only post in mailing lists to cause disruption, if
we followed my grandmother advice  and treated everybody as
people we would soon discover who the disruptive one are and
then we as a group would be able to take clean and appropriate
action.

so what did my grandmother advise, simply put and poorly
translated to english by me ..

treat everybody with respect, kindly see to thier needs and
walk away from those who only seek to hurt you, if they follow
you don;t leave them standing.

i'd convert this to the way we used to correspond over the
fledgling netowrk connections that most of us take fro granted
and treat with such malicious contempt.

for the trouble makers, the private email take away thier
audience, they will go to some other place to find that
audience,ergo we will be left in piece, and, not pieces.

for the newbies, the private email sets an example of how to
deal with difficult and or off topic email. it also shows them
that you respect thier person and won't open them to public
ridicule .. no matter how gently its done or how well meaning,
a public drubbing is still a public drubing and still hurts an
awfull lot.

we the survivors of our presdisesors vivisctitudes need to lead
by example. speak politely, with dignity and a level of respect
that will hearten and reasure the person that this is not a bad
place to be.

please note, i don't refer to the sickenly syrup like
"politically correct" language that passes fro and in
particular american english at the moment. rather an opness
that envites people to speak freely and hopnestly without fear
of "netcops", or the grammar police or the spellingcops et al.

sure thier are those who delight in poor spelling as an ends to
a mean .. but thier are far more people who don't have englsih
as a even a second language, more like third or fourth. then
thier are the disabled, ones who have poor motorskills, poor
language and thinking by way of significant neurologicial
damage or aqired brain damage. as many people as thier are,
thier are as many levels and types of disability.

the Internet was once a hope a dream, now it has become a hype
that is only souring into some marketers worst nightmare.

we built the world we now inhabit, it dodn't happen, nobody
took a packet of instant earth mix and added the obligatory
two eggs half cup of milk, dash of salt and sugar to taste.

anyway, i've probably babbled on for two long and said little
of real value. so i;ll take my leave.

but, please note, i'm still here after 5 years because i like
freebsd, its easy fro disabled person to use learn and talk
about. linux has nowhere near the same level of consistancy,
integration or coherance as freebsd. also, most of the people i
find interesting to talk to and who can relate to me or people
like me also use freebsd. well i suppose i take these issues
(roasting newbies) becaue they are a bit closer to my door step
than to many others, but, on anther, a more human level,
treating people like garbage is never a good idea.

forgetting the old axiom what goes around comes around, witht
he constant incidious encroachment of technology into our lives
we live in more and more isolated corners of the world. we as a
people ned to remember that we are people, not machines, hell
even machines make mistakes and we don't "roast" them.

no, we dismantle them and thow them away ... i have also noticed
this distrubing trend in this corner of teh unix world as well.

well i've said enough ..

regards to all

jonathan