Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:06:16 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/acd*t* no longer available in -current?

On (2002/11/15 14:45), Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> Yes. For what it's worth, I think that system should be airtight out
> of the box and the consequences for average desktop user (as I am)
> clearly documented in handbook. Users who will not read the fine
> documentation fully deserve the pain.

Well, in the case of being able to write to the CDRW, that's only true
because sysinstall doesn't ask you whether this is a multiuser or
single-user machine.

One day, when sysinstall makes that distinction, it can add more
permissive rules to the file that devfs(8) reads on startup if
the operator indicates that the installation is for a single-user
workstation.  By then, I'm sure we'll be running devfs(8) on startup.

Ciao,
Sheldon.