Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 10:34:07 -0400
From:      "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        "Dmitry V. Kalashnikov" <dvk@qwest.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dmitry V . Kalashnikov" <dvk@toolbuilders.com>
Subject:   Re: My perfect laptop!

Dmitry deliberated

> >> I am looking for a laptop that has following specs:

> >>  * 13.3 TFT,1024x768 (16bpp) or better

Will you settle for 15", 1600x1200 24bpp?
> >>  * 16-bit sound

Crystal, soundblasster pro compatible?

> >>  * Video RAM: 8+ Mb

Rage Mobility 128, 16mb, agp2x

> >>  * working modem (non-winmodem)

how about a working winmodem?

> >>  * 500+ Mhz CPU

850-1000mhz

> >>  * up to 256MB RAM or more

How about 512?  2 slots; comes with a 128.

> >>  * 10+ Gb HDD or more

30

> >>  * with an option of DVD drive

standard

> >> I don't care how much it costs. If you know the manufacturer that makes a
> >> laptop close to these figures, please let me know.

> > Modulo the modem, you can take your pick of just about any modern
> > laptop.  When you consider that a PCMCIA modem costs about $30, I
> > wouldn't restrict my search based on that criterion.
>
> Thanks Greg, I think I need to get out more often. Nah, the thing is, most
> modern laptops do have weird video cards and "unknown" sound cards. I am
> afraid, the quest for a perfect laptop is a little harder than going to a local
> computer store; however, it doesn't have to be all that perfect. What are you
> using?

Thinkpad A21p.  Same thing as the A21m but with a larger screen (the m
has a 14" 1400x1050).  The A22 are the same thing, but the A22p has a
faster processor.

hawk, quite happy with his A21p

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail