Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:02:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Daniel T. Hagan" <dhagan@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Epson Stylus printer

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Daniel T. Hagan wrote:

> I have an Epson Stylus COLOR printer that I am using solely to print text
> under FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE.  Previously under 2.0.5-RELEASE it functioned
> well within expected norms.  However, it now takes about 5-7 minutes to
> print a _single_ page of text.  I am totally baffled as to why this is
> occuring.  If anyone can give me some insight, I would be greatly
> indebted to them.  Here is my current /etc/printcap:
>
> ------ /etc/printcap ------
> #       @(#)printcap    5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
>
> lp|local line printer:\
>         :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/epson:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
> ------ EOF ----

We have a Stylus Color, but it's hooked up to a friend's workstation
that's not always in UNIX mode.  It sounds like the port's IRQ is wrong or
in use by another device...you might try putting it into polled mode with
lptcontrol.  I run my HP this way and it's fine.

I think these printers have the same goofiness as the HPs, that if you
want all the text to finish you have to send it a final formfeed to purge
the printer's buffer.

> As an aside, if anyone knows of a way to get Epson's to print Postscript,
> I would appreciate knowing about it.  This isn't a big deal, as I have
> access to other printers that can, just not in the same building.

Ghostscript will do this very, very nicely -- use the 'stcolor' device.