Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:30:49 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 timeouts

Hi,

>   I'd be VERY surprised if the problem was 8254 related. It sounds much more

me too, I just mentioned it to be anal.

>like a problem acking ISA interrupts, or perhaps a bug in the handling of
>the interrupt masks.

if it were a mask problem I would expect it to be more (always) prevelant,
but I suppose that doesn't eliminate the possibility of a race condition
on a mask.  As I mentioned earlier all the other hardware is perfectly
happy with this code: keyboard, disk controller, etc.  Peter reports
the floppy INTs work, don't know if the sio does or not...

I was hoping someone would mention some problem with these boards and
the INTA timing or somesuch thing.  When STefan gets some "PCI black magic"
fixed for me I will be able to substitute an SMP PCI Ultra.

> Are you only having this problem when running two
>processors, or does this also occur with just one?

just 1, the 2nd CPU is in a "busy spin" waiting for "smp_active == 2".
it shouldn't be able to grab INTs at this point.

another clue is the fact that I used to have rand_irqs="-s 5 -s 10" set
in /etc/sysconfig, at which time the problem occurred more often
(by 'feel', no hard numbers to support this claim) I changed it
to rand_irqs="NO" and frequency seemed to diminish greatly, maybe
1/4 of previous.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD