Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:15:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        donegan@quick.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Elf Conversion

Look at the rc* files in /usr/src/etc.  These are updates to the
/etc/rc* files.  You should NOT just copy the files from /usr/src/etc
to /etc.

There are some tools on the web to merge the files.

The /etc/rc files are VERY critical to starting and using your system.
I prefer to manually merge the files, using diff and an editor.

Now, to your problem.  The shared libraries are located via ldconfig
hints.  Look at ldconfig in /usr/src/etc/rc.conf.  in /etc/rc, the
hints are set with 'ldconfig -R <list>'.  In my /etc/rc*,
ldconfig_path is set in rc.conf.  These words are conditionally
transferred to LDC in rc.  LDC is used to set the hints.  To get
started, you can do this manually, as root.

You can view the hints with 'ldconfig -r'.

tomdean