Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:45:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dan@math.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

> > The mdec name certainly isn't FreeBSD-specific, changing it would add
> Has it:                 FreeBSD, NetBSD, possibly OpenBSD.

You forgot Solaris-1.  /usr/mdec goes back at least as far as
"research version 6" circa 1976.  I don't remember when it
disappeared from the BTL/ATT/USL/..SystemV sequence (never used
the later versions at all).

The name of the directory was a minor mystery even in 1976.
I suspect the "dec" stood for "Digital Equipment Corporation"
but never knew what to make of the "m".

If everyone wants to change the name of the directory to something
more obvious ... sure, why not.  While we are at it, why don't we
also change the name of that non-obvious "grep" command.

Dan Strick
dan@math.berkeley.edu