Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:52:37 +0200
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   em0 under CURRENT

Just for the sake of it, I tried if the performance of em would be
different
under -CURRENT and it is. Initially when I had:
options        INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity
checking
options        INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of internal
structures, required by INVARIANTS
options        WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect
deadlocks and cycles
options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on spinlocks
for speed

The performance was not much better than 100Mbps ethernet. Dropping these
options upped the performance to ~300Mbps:ish while 4.7-STABLE gives twice
that using the same application. The machine is 2.4GHz Dual P4.

At 300Mbps the other CPU seems to be spending almost all it's time on
interrupt
context while the stuff on other CPU is waiting for *Giant. Are all
network drivers
still under Giant on 5.0?

Is there any other parameters I should tune? Increase allowed mbuf clusters?

 mbuf usage:
        GEN list:       0/0 (in use/in pool)
        CPU #0 list:    232/528 (in use/in pool)
        CPU #1 list:    282/416 (in use/in pool)
        Total:          514/944 (in use/in pool)
        Maximum number allowed on each CPU list: 512
        Maximum possible: 51200
        Allocated mbuf types:
          514 mbufs allocated to data
        1% of mbuf map consumed
mbuf cluster usage:
        GEN list:       1/30 (in use/in pool)
        CPU #0 list:    205/248 (in use/in pool)
        CPU #1 list:    306/392 (in use/in pool)
        Total:          512/670 (in use/in pool)
        Maximum number allowed on each CPU list: 128
        Maximum possible: 25600
        2% of cluster map consumed
1576 KBytes of wired memory reserved (73% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Pete