Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:51:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

m in mdec was short for 'machine' IIRC. It wasn't in /usr originally I
believe.

It was part of the kernel for v7. I don't really recally it as part
of v6/PWB, but this is quite a while agao.

The boot gup all has to go somewhere. It should be probably ensured to be
in the root filesystem. This seems to me to say /boot.