Date:      Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:21:06 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making a dynamically-linked root

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org> writes:
>>... my boot time ... went from 12 seconds with a static root to 15
>>seconds with a dynamic root.
>
> Was /bin/sh dynamically linked?  It shouldn't be.

Sorry, but /bin/sh calls 'getpwnam()', which means
/bin/sh should use NSS, and thus needs to be
dynamically linked.

The _only_ program that I can see any useful debate
about is /sbin/init.  Making it dynamic requires
implementing safety features in the kernel to run
/rescue/init if /sbin/init is present but fails.
Once those features are present, then I think
_everything_ (but /rescue) should be dynamic.  Period.

Tim