Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:24:25 -0400
From:      "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        <Vicky@Vic.ky>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: a SMTP question

ok here is what you have to do....
go into your /var/qmail/control directory and edi the rcpthosts file.  In
that file you have to have all the domains that you will be sending mail
from listed in that file.

so if you are sending mail from say gmiddl1@umbc.edu

you will need the
umbc.edu domain listed in that file
if you are sending mail with address user@hotmail.com you will need the
hotmail.com domain listed in that file as well.

Qmail is set up like this so that John Doe cannot bounce mail using your
SMTP server.

Let mek now if that helps.

G. Jason Middleton

On 10 Apr 2001 Vicky@Vic.ky wrote:

> Hi guys, I setup QMAIL as a replacement for Sendmail, it works well.. but the problem now is.. when I send from the box to ouside (outgoing).. it work well.. but if I use Windows SMTP client such as Outlook Express, it wont send email.. and this is the error:
>
> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '(DESTINATIONADDRESS)'. Subject 'test', Account: '(my_SMTP_ACCOUNT)', Server: '(my_SMTP_SERVER)', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
>
> how to settle this down so I can send email from Outlook express??
>
> Thanks
> Regards,
> Vicky

G. Jason Middleton