Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 20:08:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How best to speed up rdumps?

I'm dumping across a network to an Exabyte 8505, and while backups on the
FreeBSD 2.2.2+ machine seem to go at 300-600Kbyte/s typically, backups
across the network (from a 2.2.1R machine, so far) seem to only be getting
around 50Kbyte/s.  The network is 10baseT with a smattering of 100baseTX,
and is fairly calm at the time of backup.  The command I'm using is

	dump 0auf tapeserverbox:/dev/nrst0 filesys

Should I be specifying a blocksize when doing backups over the network?
If so, how would I go about selecting an ideal blocksize?  Would I need to
do several test dumps to determine this?  Or should I be looking into
something else for the bottleneck?

The odd thing is, I did pretty much the same thing when backing up a
NEXTSTEP 3.3p1 box to a FreeBSD box, and was still able to get over
300 Kbyte/s.  Admittedly it was a different and even less-loaded network
to a different tape drive (WangDAT 3400DX), but I guess I expected more
throughput between like systems.

A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @
                                                                      mcs.net
Wishes are like dishes.