Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 11:32:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        geminidomino@earthlink.net, lists@stevenfettig.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ptfd9100@beanstalk.net
Subject:   Re: Starband

There was mail on Feb-Mar 2001 in freebsd-question asking about the
equivalent of the Linux support for echostar USB support, referring
to the URL:
	http://echostar.swiki.net/278
and
	http://www.telemann.com/datadown/sm200d/sm200d_linux_text_v2.20.tar.gz

Didn't EchoStar and Starband combined in the last few months when GM sold
the Hughes Satellite devision?

I also remember, in the 2000 to early 2001 time frame, someone posted to
a freebsd mailing list/newsgroup that inside one of those satellite
"USB" devices, there is an internal ethernet RJ45 plug that connected to the
USB hardware. This person said that you could directly connect to that
plug instead of running through the USB. I no longer have the article,
but a search on goggle for "echostar", "starband" or "DVB" should locate
the item.

I have never seen/used the devices/service, but I have heard some
not-so-flattering things about them.

--mark tinguely.