Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:26:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

<<On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 21:32:19 +0200 (MET DST), Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> said:

>> What are the relative merits of increasing the size of mbufs vs. going
>> right to clusters?

> a cluster is 2 KB, an mbuf is 8-16 times smaller.
> Moreover, a cluster also requires an associated mbuf, so you lose in
> locality of references, etc.

What you Really Want is for each interface to manage its own
allocations.  When you want to send a packet, you ask the interface
for a buffer, and it gives you one of an appropriate size and shape
that it knows how to transmit efficiently.  I've been trying to move
us in the direction where this is at least conceivable, but since I'm
no longer working directly for researchers who would like to see such
a thing, I have not had the time to work on continuing this work as I
would have liked.

A lot of the work is not actually difficult, just tedious; if there
are people out there who are willing to work on parts of this cleanup,
I'd be happy to describe in more detail what needs to be done.

-GAWollman