Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:54:34 +0100
From:      Robert Downes <nullentropy@lineone.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Firewall rules

I'm obviously missing something...

I've read as much about IPFW and firewall packet filtering as I can, and
I"m still happy with these very simple rules:

su-2.05b# ipfw -a list
00100  16  1144 divert 8668 ip from any to any in via rl0
00200  17   964 divert 8668 ip from any to any out via rl0
00300   0     0 check-state
00400  32  3296 allow ip from me to me
00500  21  1268 allow ip from 192.168.0.0/24 to any keep-state
00600 274 25875 allow ip from 192.168.1.0/24 to any keep-state
00700   2    96 deny log ip from any to any
65535   4   429 deny ip from any to any

Now, having seen plenty of examples of huge lists of rules, I'm
obviously not seeing something that is apparent to others.

I've tested my network using the grc.com ShieldsUp! port probing system.
It informs me that every one of the first 1056 ports is stealthed (i.e.
does not even reply to probes). In fact, the only thing it complains
about is the fact that my IP replies to ICPM ping requests (though I
don't understand how).

The above rules only allow replies to IPs and ports on my network that
establish a connection first. I'm not running any net services, so I
don't need to allow any unsolicited inbound connections. All the
machines on my network seem to be able to fetch mail, browse web pages,
ping, and nslookup machines on the Internet at large. And my
/var/log/security file shows that dozens of random connections to ports
135 and 445 have been dropped.

So, what am I missing? What gaping hole have I left open?
--
Bob