Date:      Sat, 09 Mar 2002 15:00:43 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for testers of MFC'd ATA driver take 2.

"Søren Schmidt" wrote:

> First of I want to thank all those that mailed back reports on
> how the first shot of patches worked out, much appreciated!
>
> Now, I've overworked things and I think I've fixed most if not
> all of the problems I've gotten reports on.
>
> So please, take a look at the new patch set at:
>
> ftp://freebsd.dk/pub/ATA/ata-diff-stable-2002-0307.gz
> and
> ftp://freebsd.dk/pub/ATA/ata-tar-stable-2002-0307.gz

Yesterday I've updated my home FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE, rebuilt kernel and world.
Today I've installed ata-diff-stable-2002-0307.gz and
ata-diff-stable-2002-0308.gz

My system runs fine. Some glitches are here, however.

I. Just confusing error message:

bash-2.05a$ atacontrol list
atacontrol: control device not found: Permission denied
bash-2.05a$ ls -l /dev/ata
crw-------  1 root  operator  159,   0  9

Device is here, but this time I was not root :-)
Next time I was:

bash-2.05a# sudo atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <WDC AC26400B/32.02S32> ATA/ATAPI rev 4
    Slave:  acd0 <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SCR-3231/S104> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
ATA channel 1:
    Master:  ad2 <IC35L040AVER07-0/ER4OA45A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:  acd1 <SONY CD-RW CRX140E/1.0n> ATA/ATAPI rev 0

II. This one is more important. It's long standing problem
in the ata driver and ATAPI CD and it's still there.

bash-2.05a# export CDROM=/dev/acd0c
bash-2.05a# mount_cd9660 $CDROM /cdrom
bash-2.05a# cd /cdrom

Now CD tray is locked.

bash-2.05a# cdcontrol eject

cdcontrol failed to eject tray but did not report an error.
Bad, but that's not all. Now CD tray is unlocked and can be ejected
manually. Filesystem is still mounted but unaccessible even when
CD tray is closed back. Luckily, it can be unmounted and remounted.

Eugene Grosbein