Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:44:13 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update UPDATING for upgrade path from 3.4 (was Re: Major upgrade)...

> 	I've done this upgrade a few times and tried going from 3.4 ->
> 4.X: not so smooth.  In fact, big sink whole for time, however, 3.4 ->
> 3.5-STABLE -> 4.X works very nicely.  Having spent a chunk of time
> upgrading 30+ boxes, going to 3.5 works well, but takes more time than
> backing up and restoring after a fresh 4.X build.  ::grin::
>
> 	At anyrate, would it be possible to have someone not this in
> UPGRADING?  3.4 -> 4.X == bad, but 3.4 -> 3.5 -> 4.X == good?  It
> would've saved me a large chunk of time, esp since the only doc I
> found that had a hit of this was Ralf's email (very useful, btw.
> Thanks!).  -sc

It's not *required* that you upgrade from sources.  I upgraded an
ancient 3.0-CURRENT machine to 4.2 by doing a binary "upgrade" from
the 4.2 CDROM.  Many of the bootstrapping issues are avoided in this
way.  From there, I could rebuilt applications as required, do a
'make buildworld' to stay "stable", etc.

louie