Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:11:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "James, guilty until proven innocent" <icon@cyberramp.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

Please address future questions to questions@freebsd.org, thanks.

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, James, guilty until proven innocent wrote:

> I'm really interested in installing FreeBSD, but am a little overwhelmed
> with all the instructions at your site.
>
> Basically, here's the deal:
>
> Right now, I'm on Windows 95(ack! MS products bite!)  I have another
> computer with a formated hard drive, and no OS installed.
> I would install FreeBSD as the ONLY OS on a MS-DOS partitioned drive.
> However, I'm not bound to it being MS-DOS partitioned.  I will partition it
> with FreeBSD if necessary, or recommened(or possible).

FreeBSD requires it's own slice.  Simply boot the install disk and in the
fdisk manager, delete all the partitions you see and instruct it to `use
entire disk for FreeBSD.'

> I have DOS drivers for all my hardware, except for the video card, S3 virge
> DX chipset.

That should be supported by X Windows no problem.

> Now, please tell me how I would install FreeBSD, pointing me to the
> appropriate sites when needed.

See the installation instructions first at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.5-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT, then work
from there.  If you get stuck write back.

> Does FreeBSD come with modem drivers?

It comes with drivers for standard serial ports and has a PPP program, so
I guess it comes with so-called `modem drivers.'

> I read somewhere on the site that I would download some image to a disk,
> and it would setup from there,  continuing the download of the actual
> OS.  Now, how would this work?  How many megs is the official(stable)
> release of FreeBSD?

Yes.  From a later message it looks like you found boot.flp.  Now just
download fdimage.exe from the tools/ directory and run `fdimage boot.flp
a:' to write it.

> Is FreeBSD linux, or UNIX compatible?

FreeBSD is a UNIX-style operating system based on the Berkeley BSD
code base.  FreeBSD comes with a Linux emulator for those programs that
can't/won't compile on FreeBSD.  I've been told many times that FreeBSD
emulates Linux better than Linux does in terms of speed :-)

> P.S.  Please help me get away from MS, I'm getting sick of thier so-called
> "OSes".  They're too slow to cut it.  And NT....it should be called "NOT".

I just sat through an OS class; today's topic was all the stuff on NT.
yuck. :-(  I now know where it's slow, though.