Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:03:17 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with PC-Cards

Nick Slager wrote:

> Thus spake Kal Torak (kaltorak@quake.com.au):
>
> > I was wondering if anyone knows of some good guides to setting
> > up FreeBSD to use PC-Cards like Ethernet and that...
> > Just using the base PC-Card stuff that comes with FreeBSD, not
> > all that PAO dist stuff...
> > I am having trouble getting it working, just need a guide that
> > explains what steps are needed..
>
> First, make sure your card is supported. A good place to start for that
> is the release notes: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.1.1R/notes.html
>
> Make sure pccardd is running. Set pccard_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf,
> or use /stand/sysinstall.
>
> If your card is supported, at this stage there's a good chance things
> will "just work".
>
> Further than that, some specific details would be required. Post them
> here or to freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org.
>
> Nick

Ok, well I am using 4.0 on an IBM Thinkpad I series 2611,
the pc-card is a D-Link DFE-650... But thats not the prob,
I havent actually got to trying to use the pc-card...

This is what I have tried, I installed from the cd, making
sure to put two pc-card slots in on the kernel config thing,
then from the console started pccardd, it said there was no
config file, so I copied pccard.conf.sample to the right
place so there was one... Then when starting pccardd is
said something like no pc-card slots found...

After that I decided to compile a new kernel, I put in two
pc-card devices, still no go, I fiddled around with the
interrupts and memory ranges, but nothing makes it work...
I am figuring I have missed something, or am going about
it the wrong way...

Thanks!
Kal.